Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Roundabouts The Spiral death trap

Yeah I know, some of you reading this probably think it's ridiculous, but I have a fear of large roundabouts, yeah they speed the flow of traffic, & their fairly easy to understand, but I really don't like them. The Magic roundabout in Swindon, I feel sorry for those who have to commute there, this like a game on hard mode.

 In roundabouts, right side has priority(left for other European countries) & you indicate before you take your exit. Now that's not too bad right? well it would be if I didn't have a bad first time experience with them. This probably the craziest thing I've done(on second thought...) I tried to go enter the roundabout. On my electric bike(goes about 15mph).

The first time was actually pretty good & went well without anything happening, so that gave me a confidence boast. So the next day commuting to college I thought I'd zip past the roundabout since it's faster. Big mistake. I went when I thought it was safe only to find that when I approaching the 2nd exit a car going very fast(about 30-40mph) was going to rear end me. Felt like my heart jumped out of me, I quickly moved in the inner lane to avoid the crash. & safely made it. Last time I tried that again. admittedly, that was my fault for being in the roundabout since the car generally go around 30mph on there, but after seeing a cyclist crossing it so easily I got inspired to try myself.

I fear the day I have to go through on my driving test coming up in the near future, but it's really the only thing I'm nervous about. Since I ride my bike on the road most of the time I generally have confidence & I'm assertive when it comes to crossing. Anyways just wanted to share my experience with you. What's your guys experience with roundabouts ? can't imagine it being worst that mine. Let me know guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment